The Directorate of Town Planning is the nodal agency for all urban planning related activities in the state. Its major activities include:
- Preparation of master plans and approval of the same on behalf of special planning authorities.
- Preparation of project reports for the IDSMT and monitoring of the schemes.
- Technical guidance to Government as well as planning authorities with respect to regulation of plan proposals.
A budgetary allocation of Rs.300.00 lakh was made for the preparation of GIS / RS based CDP Master Plan in the year 2015-16. The amount was utilized on the following activities:
- Finalization of GIS / RS based CDP for eight planning authorities
- Preparation of GIS / RS based Master Plan for eleven towns, and
- Initiation of preliminary work for 20 towns in Odisha
The state government has initiated the preparation of Master plans / CDPs for the various development areas in Urban Odisha. During 2015-16, Comprehensive Development Plans (CDP) using GIS / RS technologies have been taken up for the development areas under 09 (nine) Development Authorities and consultants have been engaged.
Among the nine development authorities, four of them viz., BDA, CDA, BeDA and KNDA have completed the preparation of CDPs and have secured approval of the government (H&UD department). For the remaining five development authorities, the draft CDP has been prepared. A draft GIS / RS based Master Plan for Jharsuguda Regional Improvement Trust (JRIT) has already been completed.
Preparation of GIS / RS based Master Plan for the next 11 towns are being undertaken. Master plans for five towns i.e. Bhadrak, Balasore, Baripada, Keonjhar & Barbil are under progress by the identified consultants. For the remaining six towns, consultants have been selected through tender process and list has been forwarded to the Department for approval. The Draft GIS / RS based Master Plan for Bhadrak & Baripada have been completed and have been published for inviting objection & suggestions from the general public. The digital data base for further twenty towns is being prepared by ORSAC. The preparation of GIS / RS based Master Plans for 19 towns is being taken up and the tender has been floated for the selection of consultants.